William D. Acton Jr. (Bill Acton)
Charlotte, North Carolina
I have always enjoyed representing people who have been injured, whether before the Industrial Commission, a jury, the NC Court of Appeals or the NC Supreme Court.
Areas of Practice
- 90% Workers’ Compensation Law
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Insurance Disputes
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Specialist in Workers’ Compensation, North Carolina State Board of Legal Specialization
- North Carolina, 1977
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- North Carolina State University
- Insurance bad faith and punitive damages. $2,000 compensatory damages and $225,000 punitive damages., Lovell v. Nationwide, 108 N.C.App. 416, 424 S.E.2d 181 (1993), affirmed 334 N.C. 682, 435 S.E.2d 71 (1993).
- Unfair Trade Practices, treble damages, , Process Components v. Baltimore Aircoil, Inc., 89 N.C.App. 649, 366 S.E.2d 907, (1988), affirmed, 323 N.C. 620, 374 S.E.2d 116 (1988).
- Workers Comp: Denied back claim, with appeals to the Supreme Court. Settlement payout for over $300,000. , Gregory v W.A. Brown & Sons, 363 N.C. 750, 688 S.E.2d 431 (2010).
- Workers Comp: Penalties against insurance carrier for illegal wrongful termination of benefits. Settlement payout for over $438,000. , Baxter v. Nichols and Key Risk Insurance, I.C. No. 687088, affirmed by Supreme Court, 363 N.C. 829, 690 S.E.2d 265 (2010).
- Workers Comp: Reinstatement of past due benefits for police officer. Payout for over $164,000., Police Officer Lisa Shupe v. City of Charlotte, 205 N.C.App. 321, 697 S.E.2d 525, 2010 WL 2651609 (N.C.App.)Unpublished Disposition.
- Workers Comp: Broken hand for machine worker. Settlement of over $200,000.
Honors and Awards
- Selected To Super Lawyers: 2009, 2011 – 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Former member of the Workers’ Compensation Council
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Former member of the Workers’ Compensation Board
Past Employment Positions
- Mecklenburg County Office of the Public Defender, Defended and tried hundreds of cases from Traffic Offenses to Capital Murder, 1977 – 1984
- Griffin, Ruff and Acton, Workers’ Compensation, Personal Injury and Criminal practice, 1984 – 1990